Monday, February 15, 2016

Project Goals/Objectives - How do we arrive at it

   
When I start to build a skill,competency in a certain area, my tendency is to refer to broad sources of information (articles, books) so that the subject can sink in conceptually.
   
During my early years in Software development, Waterfall model was the prevailing methodology of delivering a solution and PMP was the defacto Certification that one should pursue if one aspires to become a Project Manager. Eventually I did undergo a PMP training and delivered few Projects. However I kept at bay the pursuit of getting Certified which entailed writing a paid Exam. Retrospectively, I think this was primarily because PMP was not answering some of the fundamental burning questions pacing my mind which went like these :-

1. How does an Organization's Business work
2. How does my Manager and his Manager know what priorities to chalk up for a Performance year and how do they keep focus
3. How are Business Unit Leaders able to measure performance of it's Business unit in terms of Financial, Processes, Risk, People at a fundamental level

With these questions in pursuit, I took up role in the Business area of my IT Company to broaden my perspective in the Business of Non-IT Operations. It was definitely challenging but the experience enriched me tremendously. The foremost experiences which stand out for me are, in the Business area there is a lack of comprehension of how Technology serves as a Business enabler, as a Process productivizer, how Technology solutions are delivered within stringent process frameworks viz Waterfall, Change Management, Service Management etc and therefore a lack of appreciation and enthusiasm to what could be achieved.

  With the insights and experience I gained I decided the time was swell to get Certified in the more prevalent Project delivery methodologies viz Scrum and Prince2. Having an insight of all the 3 frameworks PMP, Scrum and Prince2 now I wanted to succinct my learning with a Conceptual visual representation.
   So I decided I will start with the PMP process as that was most traditionally followed process then and now. As I skimmed through the high level process view I realized there were 2 aspects in the Initiating phase that I was not very grounds-on confident on how it should done.

1. Determine Company Culture, Process and Systems
2. Create measurable Objectives

I decided it would be no point proceeding further until I fundamentally understood how the above 2 could be determined by a novice like me. The former has been covered in another article of mine. And there latter has easy techniques here.

Simple technique to arrive at Project Goals/Objectives and Results using Problem and Solution tree (PST) analysis

    We are usually accustomed to start writing Goals/Objectives by asking ourselves what do we want to accomplish. Well that's a fair enough approach to apply in personal life. But in the Business area it works differently wherein one sees a Problem or an Opportunity in terms of Market potential, performs a feasibility study by doing Research and then seeks approval for funding a Project to realize the Opportunity.
    So which means one needs to start with the Problem statement, check if there is consensus on the existence of the Problem with Stakeholders, targeted user base, an Opportunity to seize. 

So here are few pointers to be kept in mind when using the PST analysis technique:
1. When defining a Problem start with a Verb/Adjective. One would have to keep in mind the term 'Problem' intends to convey 'Needs wanting to be fulfilled by key users who could be'...Customers, Organization, Shareholders, Suppliers, Employee etc.

2. Apply the same rule for Goals (or Objectives. We will use this term interchangeably here.)

3. The rule is to apply Causal logic that is 'Cause and Effect' statements

4. When framing DIRECT AND INDIRECT CAUSE  statements use 'because' as interjunct between the Problem statement and Cause statement definition.
       4.1 'Direct Cause' is one that directly branches from Problem statement.
       4.2 'InDirect Cause' is a sub-branch from a 'Direct Cause' .

5. When framing DIRECT AND INDIRECT EFFECT statements use IF THEN statements. Eg: IF 'Cause' then 'Effect'
      4.1 'Direct Effect' is a statement that directly branches from a 'Direct Cause' statement
      4.2 'InDirect Effect' statement is subbranches from a 'Direct Effect' statement

      6.  This is how each of the components map into finally.
              Problem = Single Goal
             Direct Cause = Sub Goals         InDirect Cause = Activity
             Direct Effect = Result                InDirect Effect = Impact    

      7. Refer to the Matrix having an example to arrive at Goals and Results from Cause and Effect

 Hierarchical relationship between Problem, Cause and Effect



No comments:

Post a Comment